Adventures of 나쁜남자 and Kancheong Girl

An informational one-stop blog that tells you everything about Korea, travel and music.

For those who love music (don't we all do), visit me at www.youtube.com/janetyh!!

Sunday, March 22, 2015

How to make 떡볶이 Korean Rice Cake (Simplified Version)

I have don't have much pictures for this dish because I made it before I decided to re-start this blog. Nevertheless, trust me, I have cooked this upteempth time and I know what I am doing. I have tried so many methods and this is the one I will stick to. This is my favourite Korean dish, fell in love with it since I first visited Korea in 2006. I have enough experience to know which are the authentic ones.

The best Korean rice cake I have tasted thus far is in Busan, I will leave this story for another post.

Ingredients required:

Main dish (A):
300g korean rice cake (comes refrigerated, can get it at NTUC or Korean supermarket)
Fish Cake (optional)
Boiled Egg (Optional)
Instant Noodles (optional)

Sauce (B):
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp gochujang (refer to fried squid post for more information)
0.5 tbsp chilli powder (you can add up to 2 tbsp if you can take the spiciness)

1. Boil 2 cups (300ml) of water and place the rice cake in. When the water starts to bubble, add in 2 tbsp sugar.

2. Bring the content to a boil and add in soya sauce, gochujang and chilli powder. Stir and cook till you get the sauce consistency as per picture below. Once the stock thickens (shouldn't be watery, it should cling onto the rice cake) and turn bright red, add in the spring onion (along with your cooked fish cake, boiled egg etc), stir for awhile more and off the fire. If you are adding instant noodles, try to slightly cook the noodles in another pot first then add to the rice cake, bring it to a boil before adding in the spring onion.


Nice and chewy Tteokbokki. You can sprinkle some sesame seed on top. Korean usually have mandu (fried dumpling) to go with the rice cake sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment